Are you ready for some football? Serve it up with some Texas Caviar.
This is a healthier option to serve with chips or crackers during the big game. While there are many versions, this one has always been a hit at our house.
Make it on the spot or a couple of days ahead. Leftovers — if you have any — will last in the fridge about a week. Right now it’s too hot to grow and use your own cilantro, but by the time playoffs come around you’ll be able to use your own homegrown cilantro in this tasty dip.
Combine in a large bowl:
- 5 cans plain black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 roasted poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 5-7 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Handful of cilantro, chopped
Hint – chop all the ingredients about the same size as a single black-eyed pea, it makes for better scooping.
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 4-5 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- Healthy pinch of salt
Mix dressing, add to bowl and toss. Serve immediately or put in fridge until you are ready to serve. Serve at room temperature.